Friday, October 13, 2023

I CAN'T BREATHE...

 

I CAN'T BREATHE...

Grimy grips of wickedness
Accentuated by wry smiles of evil
Whoever made these restorers of breaches
And the upholder of moral justices
Taking the chokehold to new heights
Even with restraints and constraints
Ebbing the very life out of me
I can't breathe...

What crime have I committed
Could it be for my skin colour
Or your self delusion and insecurity
Could it be because I have an attitude
Or the craze for you to be heard
That you slammed me to the floor
Slapped my wrist with the lawbreaker's bangle
I can't breathe...

This dark cloud o'ercast the land
Modestly tangles with the anger in me
Of what use is the 1863 declaration
When some still feel superior to others
How much human can we be
If we are divided by creed or colour
And could proudly take another out
I can't breathe...

What really awaits you hereafter
If you think this will resolve self
And like it has always been, will go away
If you don't take a stand now
What would you ever stand for
What will posterity e'er judge you by
A valliant or a hero
I can't breathe...

In not many days hence
What looms will bring to its knees
The evil in the eyes of men
That looks at others as less and insufficient
It will surely send unrestricted messages
To their egoistic tendencies and folly
That all lives matter because
I can't breathe...

The world on her knees must know
Mankind on their knees must be aware
That no matter your skin colour
All race belong to the human race
We are united by the breath in us
Given by the Life Source
Now, I need to breathe.


© Emmanuel Obu
June 5, 2020


Emmanuel Obu, is a minister of the gospel and a brands and communications strategist. He works in Lagos, Nigeria where he lives with his lovely wife and children. He can be reached at me@emmanuelobu.org.




No comments:

Post a Comment